Pets such as dogs, cats, or other long-haired animals are very susceptible to infestation by fleas. For dogs with fleas, they will usually scratch their bodies a lot.
Whatever type of dog or pet you have, when they have lots of fleas on their body they will usually turn thin, don’t like to eat, lethargic until they are susceptible to disease.
Types of Fleas that Often Attack
There are three types of fleas that most often attack dogs, including:
These fleas are also often referred to as cat fleas, because this type of flea often attacks cats.
This one tick is very small, round and flat, and reddish black in color where the hind legs are longer.
This type of flea generally resides in the dog’s dwelling and only comes to suck the dog’s blood when it is, then the flea will move into the room again when it feels full.
Typically, this flea attacks dogs who do a lot of outdoor activities and are exposed to infected cats.
Fleas of this type can also attack humans, leaving a very itchy bite mark.
- Can cause anemia and spread tapeworm parasites (Dhypillidium sp.).
- Move quickly, and can move from one host to another by jumping.
- Can cause flea allergic dermatitis which can be transmitted to humans.
This type of flea is a small insect that lives on the dog’s body and lives by eating the dog’s skin tissue.
These fleas reproduce very quickly, and make your dog’s coat sticky, shed, and smells easy.
Usually lice is transmitted to dogs who have been infected before. This level of getting rid of lice is relatively easy. You can bathe the dog with flea-killing shampoo, or flea-repellent powder.
The tick is the dog’s biggest enemy. This is because almost all dogs in Indonesia are infected with this type of tick.
Humans can also be made prey by the tick. The male tick has a small flat size and is red-brown in color, while the female tick has a round black shape.
These lice usually after sucking blood will immediately enlarge and turn gray
The characteristics of the tick (ticks):
- Can survive for months without a host. Can reach the skin and suck in body parts such as between the toes, ears, back, and neck.
- Withstands extreme weather. And will be very active at the beginning of the rainy season.
- Can transmit disease Tick fever caused by Tick Paralysis, blood parasites (Babesia), as well as other diseases.
- If there are many ticks, it can cause anemia and death, especially for puppies or puppies.
Effects If Dog Curses
Dog fleas are fleas that come from flea gardens or come from infected dog’s body where the animal is very harmful.
Flea bites can cause sores and bumps, and can even stress the dog.
This flea will also make the dog scratch its body blindly, which will cause a lot of hair loss.
Untreated fleas in your dog can carry tapeworm larvae which will develop on the dog’s body. And what’s worse, these fleas can also attack humans.
Curse Dog Signs
The following are some signs of ticks, including:
- If you see an insect crawling on a dog’s coat, it is definitely a flea. In general, this flea is brownish red with a length of about 2mm.
- Look for any small black spots on the dog’s skin. These little black spots are flea droppings. You can find it using a lice comb and a comb on a piece of white paper, so it will make it easier to see.
- Check the hind legs as well as the cat’s head and neck. Because this part is the main area that is often used as a place of activity for the tick.
- See also flea droppings on dog beds, carpets and mats.
Fleas usually lay eggs on the dog’s body. However, these eggs will usually move places. These nits fall easily and can hide in mats, carpets, beds or gaps between floorboards.
The size of these nits is very small, about 0.5 mm, with an oval shape and white color.
How to get rid of dog fleas for beginners
The following are some of the ways you can get rid of fleas, including:
1. Diatomaceous Earth
Diatomaceous earth is often used as an insect repellent, in fact it is also very good for cleaning fleas.
The trick is not to sprinkle it directly on the dog, but you can sow it in the area around the house, the dog’s play area, and where the dog lives.
This fruit can also be used as a flea spray.
First you slice the lemon then boil it with a little water until it boils. Then wait for the run to cool and then spray it on the dog.
In addition to its fresh scent, it is also an effective way to get rid of fleas. But you need to note, don’t spray it into the dog’s eye area.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
This one fluid is indeed quite helpful for reducing fleas on the body in dogs. Because apple cider vinegar is hated by lice even though it can’t kill them.
How to use it, you just need to mix this apple vinegar with water, then rub it on the dog’s body evenly.
4. Dish Soap
Soap has a hot impression, therefore, you have to combine dog shampoo to neutralize the heat.
The hot impression will repel the fleas.
This material is very commonly used to preserve corpses. This is because borax has a role as an insecticide, so its use is quite good for eradicating lice, larvae and other small insects.
How to use it is by sprinkling this borax in an area that is often visited by dogs. Starting from the playground, to the cage.
6. Neem leaves
In general, this herbal leaf is usually used as a herbal medicine which has many health benefits.
However, this leaf has a scent that ticks don’t like, therefore, you can use a liquid with a solution from this leaf.
The method of application is that you boil enough neem leaves then bathe the dog using the water.
Rosemary is one of the flowers which is known as a natural remedy for fleas.
The aroma of this herbal remedy is very disliked by fleas and you can use it as a simple alternative step.
Besides that, you can also plant this one flower close to the cage or several other places where the dog plays.
8. Cedar Wood Powder
Cedar wood also has a scent that ticks don’t like. You just sprinkle the powder from the wood chips, the fleas will go away.
It can also be applied to dog play areas and kennels.
9. Lavender Oil
The aroma of lavender is also a powerful scent to repel fleas.
The first thing you have to do is prepare lavender oil and then spray the solution on the dog.
The use of this oil will be very suitable when you wash the dog.
10. Maintaining Cleanliness of the Cage
Not only focus on the animals, but you also have to pay attention to environmental cleanliness.
Starting from the cage, to the playground for your beloved dog. Do regular kennel cleaning so it doesn’t smell, so your dog can be healthier and will certainly be free from fleas.
11. Caring for And Shaving Dogs
Apart from the tips above, caring for and shaving your dog can also be the right alternative to prevent flea attacks.
Medicines That Can Relieve Dog Fleas
The following are some flea medications that you can try to get rid of fleas on a dog’s body, including:
- Boehringer Ingelheim NexGard (Afoxolaner) Chewables (Rp140,000)
- Bayer Advocate (Rp95,000)
- Revolution Selamectin for Puppies and Kitten (Rp100.000)
- Revolution Selamectin for Cats (Rp99.000)
- Boehringer Ingelheim Frontline Plus for Dogs (Rp.330,000)
- Boehringer Ingelheim Frontline Spray (Rp. 115,000)
- Virbac Effipro Spot-On Solution for Cats (Rp.65,000)
- Detick Lice Drops (Rp.20,000)
- Hartz UltraGuard Rid Flea & Tick Shampoo for Cats (Rp135,000)
- Animal Flea Comb (IDR 14,000)
- Flea N Tick Doris Powder (Rp. 36,000)
There are drugs and products above that can be applied by drinking, eating, such as shampoo, to powder.