One cat disease that is quite common in cats is fungus.
Fungus can grow on several parts of a cat’s body, starting from the ears, body, chin, skin and so on.
As one of the most popular pets, it is also necessary to know how to care for it properly.
This must be done because cats are sensitive animals and are susceptible to disease.
Types of Fungi on the Cat’s Body
In order to get rid of fungus in cats maximally, it is necessary to know the type first.
Each fungus attacks different parts of the body, so it requires different handling methods. Here are some types of fungi in cats:
- Ringworm, This mushroom is a circle that can grow on the ears and body of a cat.
- Lice, fungus that causes cat skin to become very dry.
- Yeast, a fungal infection that attacks the cat’s ear.
- Acne, a fungus that grows on the cat’s chin.
- Stud tail is a fungus that is capable of causing excessive oil secretion from the cat’s skin.
- Scabies, a combination of fungi and mites that often grow on the head of a cat.
- Dandruff is a white fungus that is small like powder and often attacks parts of the cat’s body.
- Allergic dermatitis is a fungus that grows and develops due to an allergic reaction to drugs, food or drinks consumed by cats.
- Pijal, fungus that makes cat skin look crusty.
- Mushroom loss is a mite that can cause hair loss in cats.
- Eosinophilic granuloma is a type of fungus that attacks the mouth and nose of cats.
Causes of Fungus in Cats
Pet health will certainly affect the environment and also the life of the owner. For this reason, when a cat is attacked by fungus, it must be known in detail where it caused it.
That way the selected handling method can also be done appropriately and correctly. Cats must be vaccinated so they don’t carry diseases to the environment.
Here are some of the causes of fungus in cats:
- The fungus can be transmitted from other cats. For that, pay attention to the physical contact that cats make, whether they meet other cats who have diseases or not.
- Environmental factors can be one of the causes of fungal growth on the cat’s body. The playground is a location that must be cleaned frequently to ensure quality.
- Poorly maintained cat bedding conditions can cause viruses and bacteria to nest and trigger the growth of fungi. Clean the cat’s bed regularly so that its health can be guaranteed.
- Rarely washing a cat can also lead to mold growth. Although cats are clean animals and can bathe themselves, sometimes they are not clean enough. For that you should bathe the cat regularly.
- Cat hair that is too thick can become the main nest for fungal growth. For that, trim cat hair regularly so that it remains smooth and can grow cleanly.
How to Get Rid of Fungus in Cats
There are several ways you can get rid of fungus in cats. After knowing the source of the cause, treatment can be chosen more precisely.
That way fungus won’t be a problem anymore for pet cats.
Check out the method as follows.
1. Use Anti Fungal Shampoo
Bathing your cat using a shampoo containing ketoconazole can remove mold more effectively.
This happens because ketoconazole can have anti-fungal properties and can eradicate the fungus to the roots.
Use the shampoo twice a week for maximum results.
There are several references to shampoos containing ketoconazole such as Chlorhexidine, Malaseb and so on.
One of the natural ways that can be used to get rid of fungus is to use sulfur. Use sulfur which has a content of about 0.5% – 5%.
The way of application is very easy, use sulfur like using shampoo. However, the use of sulfur can have side effects such as decreased appetite.
3. Shaving the Cat
Fungus begins to grow on the cat’s body on the outermost layer of skin. For that, the best way to deal with it is to shave the hair that begins to grow fungus before bathing it.
In addition, cat hair that is too thick can also hinder the healing process of rashes caused by fungal infections, because the conditions tend to be wet and covered in fur.
4. Cat Quarantine
The first step to take when a cat is infected is quarantine. This is done so that the cat’s condition can be immediately observed and handled properly.
Keep cats in their own crate temporarily so they don’t pass the fungus to other pets or the environment.
5. Watch the Cats Reaction
Every cat will react to medications differently. For this reason, during the treatment period, the reaction given by the cat will also be different.
For active-moving cats, they will usually look more moody and quiet during the treatment period.
Meanwhile, cats that are basically quiet will be more difficult to detect how they react to drugs.
One sign that the drug is working well is seeing the reaction in the gums and mouth of the cat, whether it is colored and not pale anymore or not.
In addition, pay attention to the cat’s ears, whether they feel warm or not. If it has returned to normal, it means that the medication is working well in the cat.
6. Use Liquid Anti-Fungal Medicine
One of the best remedies for treating fungal infections in cats is Virbac Wound Gard (VWG).
This is a liquid medicine that has anti-fungal properties so that it can kill bacteria that irritate the cat’s skin.
How to use it is very easy, which is sprayed directly on the moldy cat’s body. In addition, this drug can also function as a very effective flea eradication tool.
Giving antibiotics to cats does not immediately kill the fungus that grows on their bodies. However, these drugs can work as protection for the cat’s body.
Antibiotics can inhibit fungal growth so that over time it will disappear. Cats that are given antibiotics will have a stronger immune system and are less susceptible to fungus.
8. Take it to the doctor
If all the simple ways to get rid of the fungus don’t work, the last thing you can do is take the cat to the vet. That way the handling will be carried out immediately by the experts.
The fungus that grows on the cat’s body should not be left for too long because it can trigger various types of diseases such as respiratory inflammation to skin diseases.
9. Use Anti Fungal Powder
The most effective remedy for removing fungus is powder. This type of anti-fungal powder is very easy to find at most pet stores. How to use it is very simple, just sprinkle it on the moldy part of the cat’s body.
Gradually the fungus will begin to disappear and will not spread to other parts of the body. Use a head protection tube so the cat doesn’t lick the powder.
By understanding the types, causes, and how to get rid of fungus in cats, pet health can be more assured.
This condition will make the owner more comfortable and happy to have an active and clean pet cat.