Mongrel dogs are mongrels or local dogs or mixed dogs that come from various types of dogs with certain racial characteristics that can no longer be investigated where the original breed comes from.
These dogs are mostly kept as working dogs, such as:
- House guard dog
- Farm and garden guard dogs.
This breed of mutt is usually underestimated and treated inappropriately until it is abandoned.
Actually, this dog has advantages that are not owned by other dogs. So they don’t need special care.
Local race is one type of dog breed that has a relationship with wolves and groups with gray color characteristics.
To be able to see the genetic differences between dogs and wolves has taken place between 40,000 and 20,000 years ago.
The more you read the history of domestic dogs that have undergone many genetic changes through evolution in the past, concluding that this dog breed is not so bad as imagined by Indonesian society so far.
Reporting from drlawrenceblair.com as an anthropologist from England who likes to explore various places in Indonesia.
In the 1970s, together with his colleagues, he arrived in Bali and often became a speaker to explain to the public about culture in Indonesia.
He also did not hesitate to praise the Balinese dogs, which are widely used as pets of the local community so that their origins can still be accounted for as pure breeds until now.
The following are some of the advantages possessed by mongrel, including:
- Maintenance costs are much cheaper. Starting from food, health, and other treatments. The price of a pure dog breed will obviously be different when the dog is sick and requires medical action to cure his disease.
- Body resistance is very good.
- The life of the ancestors of the mutt or domestic dog breeds in a wild habitat and full of challenges to compete with other animals.
- Grooming is much easier and this dog is not fussy.
|Fossil range||Post Pleistocene|
|Conservation status||Threatened (IUCN 2.3)|
Meanwhile, the scientific classification is as follows:
|Binomial name||Cuon alpinus|
Ajak or also known as ajag (Cuon alpinus) is a coyote that lives in Asia, especially in the south and east. Invite not the same as wolf animals.
Ajak is a native Indonesian dog spread across the islands of Sumatra and Java, and inhabits mountainous areas and forests.
This invite has a moderate body posture and is reddish brown in color.
On the underside of the chin, neck, to the end of the stomach has a white color, while the tail is thick black.
Ajak generally live in groups of five to twelve, depending on the environment.
However, under certain conditions, this invite can live solitary or alone. As found in the Gunung Leuser National Park and Bromo National Park (Pasuruan).
2. New Guinea Singing Dog
The New Guinea Singing Dog or also known as the New Guinea highland dog (Canis lupus dingo) is a native dog native to the Guinea Highlands, the island of New Guinea.
These dogs are known for their very unique vocalizations. Some experts also said that this dog was a mongrel / wild dog, but there were also those who disagreed.
There has been little discussion about the New Guinea Singing Dog in the wild and there are only two photos of wild sightings: taken in 1989 and published by an Australian mammalogist named Tim Flannery.
Then there are also other shots taken in August 2012 by a wilderness adventure guide named Tom Hewett in the Bintang Mountains region of West Papua.
Then in 2016, the New Guinea Highland Wild Dog Foundation announced to the mass media that the University of Papua succeeded in meeting and photographing this group of fifteen dogs called “highland wild dogs”.
3. The Tengger Dog
The following are some of the characteristics of perch dogs, namely:
- Have a high level of intelligence
- Has a posture that looks handsome
- It belongs to a large size dog where its body length is almost 1 m and its tail is 30 cm long
- Has fur or thick light brown hair and a combination of dark-blackish brown stripes and is about 8 – 10 cm long.
- Always appear as a leader among other dog groups.
- Has a dark brown stripe around the neck area, which is a characteristic characteristic of perch dogs.
- Be brave.
- Physically strong
- This type of dog can be found only in the Bromo Mountains area – East Java (also known as the Tengger mountain area)
4. Kintamani Dog
|Other name||Balinese Kintamani, Balinese Mountain Dog, Balinese Dog, Bali-Berghund, Kinta|
|Other colors||Black, Cream, and Striped|
The Kintamani dog is a breed of dog originating from the Kintamani mountain area, on the island of Bali. This dog has a brave nature, alert, agile, and a high enough level of suspicion.
This one dog has been bred for a long time so that it is recognized by the international community.
1. The shape of the head
- The head at the top is wide with the forehead and cheeks flat.
- The muzzle is proportional and strong to the size of the head shape.
- The jaw is strong and compact.
- Strong teeth with tooth movements resembling scissors.
- Lips are black or dark brown.
- The ears are thick, strong, stand upside down to resemble an inverted “V” shape with slightly rounded tips.
- The distance between the two ears is quite wide, the length of the ears is more or less the same.
- The eyes are oval shaped like almonds.
- The eyeball is dark brown.
- Lashes are white.
- The nose has a black or dark brown color
- This nose color changes frequently due to increasing age and changing seasons.
4. Neck & body down
- The neck is elegant and of medium length, strong with strong muscles.
- Chest deep and wide
- Flat back, medium length complete with good muscles.
- Female dogs tend to be longer than male dogs.
- The Kintamani (Bali) dog has long krah (badong) hair like a fan in the gumba area, the longer the badong hair the better.
- Pretty long legs.
- Strong and straight when viewed from the front and back.
- Unclean heel.
- Light leg movements.
6. The tail
- Loose hair
- The upright position forms a 45 degree angle or looks slightly curved but does not fall or circle over the waist or fall sideways.
- The longer the tail hair the better.
7. Height and body shape
- Males: 45 cm to 55 cm.
- Females: 40 cm to 45 cm.
- Hair color is predominantly white specifically (slightly reddish) and brownish red (cream) at the tips of the ears, tail and hair on the back of the thigh.
- Other colors: smooth black and brown on the black muzzle (bangbungkem), skin pigmentation, lips, eyelids, nose, anus, scrotum, and black or dark brown soles of the feet.
8. Hair Color
The Kintamani Dog’s hair color can be categorized into 4 types, including:
- The white hair color is slightly reddish and is accompanied by a reddish-brown color combination on the ears, the hair on the back of the thigh and the tip of the tail.
- Smooth black color and slightly white chest.
- The color of light brown and dark brown and the tip of the muzzle is blackish in color, often referred to by the local community as the Bang-bungkem color.
- The basic color of brown or light brown is complete with blackish stripes, which the local community calls the poleng or orchid color.
How to Train
The following are some important points to train a mutt to make it easy to train, including:
- Routine in feeding
- Give attention
- Provide training
- Give a place
- Take a walk
- Provide additional food
- Take good care
How to care
Caring for a mutt is easy, not as complicated as other dog breeds.
Even in terms of food, this one dog can eat anything including your leftovers.
For example: you can give him rice complete with vegetables and chicken bones. However, if you want to give him special dog food it will also be great, as long as it is mixed with rice.
Even though this dog has thin hair, when you raise this dog you must also pay attention to the condition of the fur and be diligent in cleaning the fur by brushing the fur.
If you do this treatment regularly, the fur will look beautiful and clean. Don’t forget to clean the face area starting from the eyes, mouth, nose, and ears.
Cutting nails is also important. And don’t forget to bathe the dog twice a week, or when the dog is dirty. And after bathing make sure if the dog is really dry.
How to Fatten
Here are some important points that you should pay attention to when you want to fatten your mutt, including:
- Provide a new meal schedule
- Provide a snack or small meal
- Provide foods high in fat and protein
- Give pumpkin and sweet potatoes
- Provide peanut butter
- Give lots of practice
- Give food more often
- Reduces stress on the dog
- Give Dandelion
- Choose premium quality dog food
- Adding water to the dinner plate
- Adding broth
- Add boiled eggs
- Give a banana
- Give heart
Price of Dogs
The selling price for native dogs ranges from IDR 200,000 to IDR 500,000 / head.
And there are also village dogs that are sold for IDR 2,000,000 / head which is the highest price for a native dog.
The high selling price in general, the dog will be used as a hunting animal.
However, if a broiler dog, usually the price will be determined based on the weight, size and coat color. Dogs with black meat color are expensive compared to other mutt.
This is because black dog meat tastes sweeter and tastier. And for young broilers, it will also be much more expensive because it has a softer texture.
Several types of mongrel dogs are the Ajak, New Guinea Singing Dog, Tengger Dog, Kintamani Dog
The selling price for native dogs ranges from IDR 200,000 to IDR 500,000 / head. The record is IDR 2,000,000 / head.
The following are some of the characteristics of a mutt dog that is good to keep, namely the shape of the ears upright and walking in front of the owner.